Thursday, October 18, 2012

[2] #53: Ride for Refuge



Everyone rolled out of bed with enough time for a bowl of cereal and a yogurt, but not much more than that. The starting line was about a half hour from the home we had gathered in, and many of us still needed to properly register. Bikes loaded and helmets in hand we drove off to the race that will, in time, change lives.

We were raising money – putting our legs and lungs to the test in trade for sponsorship pledges that pool into a fund designed to help kids get to camp. The 52.72 kilometer track nearly killed me a couple of times, but the idea of more children packing into our programs, learning about the God we love and finding a place of emotional refuge (even if only for one week) kept me pumping along. That, and a quick-paced audiobook reading away in my ears. I started the race in a sweater and tracks, and crossed the line in shorts and a tank – wild how much heat a body self-generates. It took me four hours, three water bottles, two oranges and an embarrassing number of muffins to get there, but I got there. I think I’ll train a little harder for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment